The Right Lawyer Makes a Difference in Texas Criminal Defense
An attorney protecting the rights of the accused in San Antonio and throughout the Lone Star State
If you have been charged with a criminal offense or are a juvenile facing a charge in the family courts, you might be scared. You may fear for your future and for your freedom. Whether you've already been arrested or are in the midst of an investigation as you read this, you need the strongest protection against the state offered by an attorney who handles every case personally and –doesn’t treat you as some hypothetical criminal. For more than 27 years, San Antonio' s Kevin Collins has represented clients in San Antonio and throughout the state of Texas. With a dual certification in criminal law and family law from the State Bar of Texas, you can rely on the law office of Kevin L. Collins, P.C.
Why you need an attorney for criminal defense
Kevin Collins has the extensive experience you need for a wide range of Texas criminal charges, from traffic infractions to murder. If you have been charged with a crime in the North Dallas area, including Collin County, we can help. We represent individuals charged with any adult or juvenile offense occurring in Texas, including:
- Misdemeanors: These are "lesser" crimes that are generally punishable by a fine, probation or less than one year jail time.
- Drunk driving: Our office represents those who are facing loss of license and fines as a result of drunk driving, DWI or DUI.
- Felonies: Grave crimes, such as murder, rape or burglary, are punishable by a more stringent sentence than that given for a misdemeanor.
- Federal crimes: These are crimes or offenses that are made illegal by federal law, not state law.
- Corporate and white collar crimes: These are crimes committed by a company (corporate crime) or individuals (white collar crime), such as embezzlement, check fraud, mail fraud and computer fraud.
- Expungement and sealing: The law office of Kevin L. Collins can help you clear your record of certain crimes or seal records for juvenile offenses.
- State crimes: These are actions or failures to act that are made criminal by a state law rather than a federal law. They comprise the majority of criminal charges.
- Violent crimes: Assault, battery, assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, murder, weapons charges, capital murder and domestic violence are among the most common violent crimes.
- Juvenile law: Kevin L. Collins defends juveniles against a full range of charges, including shoplifting, drug offenses, street fighting, bar fighting, assault and date rape.
Sometimes a judge or jury arrives at the wrong verdict, leading to wrongful convictions. In many cases, rulings are incorrect because of technicalities or mistakes made during a criminal investigation or trial. But other times, due in part to human error or even poor criminal defense in San Antonio, innocent people face unjust convictions and sentences for crimes they did not commit. In Texas, perhaps no wrongful conviction is better known than that of Randall Dale Adams, whose case was the subject of the documentary film The Thin Blue Line.
If you are the victim of an incorrect verdict, a San Antonio criminal defense attorney can help you appeal the ruling by arguing your case in front of a higher court, such as the Texas Supreme Court or the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. You may not appeal your case solely on the assertion that the verdict was wrong, but when evidence exclusion, allowance of inadmissible evidence, unintentional or intentional misconduct (such as tampering with evidence) by a prosecution attorney, negligence by a defense attorney or similar factors exist, you may have grounds for an appeal.
Don't let the prosecutor step on your rights
Although it is not a requirement that you obtain legal representation when you face criminal charges, knowledgeable attorneys in San Antonio like Kevin Collins can help in a wide variety of ways. A qualified defense attorney protects your rights throughout all criminal proceedings, such as questionings, depositions, arraignments, preliminary hearings, the trial, and appeals and sentencing, when applicable. You have a constitutional right to legal counsel as outlined by the Sixth Amendment, and you should take advantage of it.
If you are paying for your own criminal defense lawyer in San Antonio, it is best to do some research so you can find an attorney with relevant experience and a good track record. You can ask a trusted friend or colleague, use an online database or contact the local bar association for referrals before consulting with a few potential attorneys and making your decision. If you are unable to afford a lawyer on your own, the court can provide you with a public defender at no cost.
Your lawyer plays a critical role in your defense and advocates for your best interests. An attorney also makes sure you are treated properly and supports you by handling the paperwork, deadlines and other administrative elements of your case. Some specific duties San Antonio criminal defense lawyers perform include the following:
- Explain your legal rights, such as due process
- Prepare you for what to expect throughout all phases of your criminal case
- Explain the details, reasons and implications regarding your charges
- Prepare you for the penalties you could face if convicted
- Protect your constitutional rights in all law enforcement actions and court proceedings
- Negotiate a plea bargain on your behalf
- Arrange for bail
- Launch a thorough investigation into your charges and obtain any and all necessary evidence to use in your defense
- Formulate and present a solid legal defense, call upon relevant defense witnesses, cross-examine prosecution witnesses, object to improper questioning and represent you in court
In trouble? Worried about an investigation? Get help today!
If you have been charged with a crime, are concerned that you might be facing criminal accusations or would like more information regarding an appeal, contact Kevin L. Collins, P.C. via our contact page or by telephone at 210.598.8629. Our legal team makes your best interests our top priority.