Board-Certified Attorney Offers Robust Texas Sex Crimes Defense
Skilled and determined representation for clients accused of state sex crimes
The consequences of a criminal conviction normally are abated after the defendant has paid his or her debt to society. But a sex crime conviction imposes a stigma that can last a lifetime. The consequences of such a conviction include incarceration, fines and a requirement to register as a sex offender — in some cases for life. When the stakes are this high, you need representation you can count on. Kevin L. Collins in San Antonio is a Texas board-certified criminal defense attorney with decades of experience. He will provide exemplary representation throughout the legal process, with the goal of protecting your rights, your liberty and your ability to live your life freely.
Strong defense against a wide range of sex crime charges in San Antonio
Texas authorities zealously pursue sex crime prosecutions, seeking the maximum punishment the law allows. The major state sex offenses and their potential penalties are:
- Public lewdness — Class A misdemeanor; up to one year in jail
- Indecent exposure — Class B misdemeanor; up to 180 days in jail
- Indecency with a child — Second-degree felony; two to 20 years in prison
- Improper relationship between educator and student — Second-degree felony; two to 20 years in prison
- Invasive visual recording — State jail felony; 180 days to two years in jail
- Voyeurism — Class C misdemeanor with no jail time, but a state jail felony if the victim is a child younger than 14 years
- Revenge porn — This type of harassment is a Class C misdemeanor.
- Sexual coercion — State jail felony, or third-degree felony for a repeat offense
- Sexual assault (rape) — Second degree felony; two to 20 years in prison
- Indecent assault — Class A misdemeanor; up to one year in jail
- Aggravated sexual assault — First degree felony; five to 99 years in prison
- Prohibited sexual conduct (incest) — Depending on the family relationship, either a third degree or second degree felony
- Possession or promotion of child pornography — Third or second degree felony
- Promotion of prostitution — Third degree felony for first offense; second degree for subsequent offense; first degree if the act involves a minor
- Bestiality — State jail felony, but a second-degree felony if the animal is seriously injured or dies
In addition to incarceration, defendants charged with these crimes face heavy fines and may have to register as sex offenders with the Texas Department of Public Safety for at least 10 years and sometimes for life, depending upon the level of risk of a repeat offense. The sex offender registry is publicly accessible and can result in an individual being denied employment, housing and educational opportunities.
In any case involving an alleged sexual act or motive, Mr. Collins thoroughly investigates the facts and circumstances to expose any weaknesses in the state’s evidence. Mr. Collins challenges every element of the prosecution’s case and takes all appropriate measures to secure the best outcome possible.
Federal jurisdiction over sex crimes
In some instances, federal authorities prosecute sex crime cases based on federal statutes prohibiting such acts as:
- Possession, distribution and receipt of child pornography
- importation of child pornography into the United States
- Production of child pornography
- Selling and buying of children
- Prostitution of children
- Sex trafficking of children
- Transportation of minors for prostitution
- Coercion and enticement
- Use of interstate facilities to promote child prostitution
- Traveling to meet a minor for sex
For federal sex crimes, you face prosecution by U.S. Department of Justice attorneys with specialized investigative resources. You need a criminal defense attorney who is equal to the task of defending you at this level.
Contact a highly effective San Antonio defense attorney for sex crime charges
Kevin L. Collins, P.C. provides aggressive defense against state and federal sex crime charges in the San Antonio, Texas vicinity. To schedule a consultation, call 210-598-8629 or contact the firm online.