Healthcare Fraud Attorney in San Antonio, TX Provides Criminal Defense
Work with an experienced attorney to avoid harsh penalties
Healthcare fraud is a serious offense with significant consequences if you are convicted. When you face health care fraud charges, call Kevin L. Collins, P.C. to obtain my services as your criminal defense attorney. I have 27 years of legal experience both as a prosecutor and defense attorney, which allows me to attack your case from all angles. My assertive, relentless style in the courtroom enables me to prevent your becoming the victim of false charges and misleading evidence.
What are common forms of health care fraud?
Healthcare fraud is a type of white collar crime that is becoming more common. In early 2013, for example, a podiatrist in Sherman, Texas was sentenced to prison and had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines for healthcare fraud. Her crime was making false claims to Medicare and falsifying tax records.
Every case has unique aspects and strategies for defense, which makes it important that you work with a San Antonio criminal defense attorney who has a broad knowledge of this field. Some types of healthcare fraud are:
- Billing for services not rendered: This fraud involves a person billing Medicare for injuries, illnesses or other types of medical conditions that he or she never actually had.
- Duplicate claims: In this type of case, a person double-bills Medicare for the same service. This is usually done by filing two versions of the same bill with very slight differences.
- Unnecessary service: These are claims filed by patients for conditions they don’t have. There are also excessive service claims, which occur when a person files a claim for more coverage than he or she needs for a condition or medical issue.
- Unbundling: Most medical services come in bundles so that they are less costly for the patient. The process of “unbundling” these bills results in a higher Medicare payout, as the bill submissions come in staggering amounts over periods of time.
- Kickbacks: Kickbacks are specific types of rewards or gifts used to convince healthcare providers to use a specific service so the patient can file a greater claim with Medicare.
Healthcare fraud becomes a felony when the claims exceed a certain amount of money. Speak with an attorney for more information about levels of healthcare fraud and the punishments that come with them.
Contact a San Antonio healthcare fraud lawyer for more information
Get the information that you need about defending yourself from healthcare fraud charges. Call Kevin L. Collins, P.C. today at 210-598-8629 or contact me online to learn more and schedule your initial consultation.