Skilled Attorney Represents People Accused of Repeat DWI in Texas
A law firm that focuses on protecting your rights
If you are charged with a repeat driving while intoxicated (DWI) offense, you face significantly harsher punishments than a first-time offender. In many cases, a second offense or more is considered a felony. To fight these charges, you need the services of a trusted San Antonio DWI lawyer. Through my firm Kevin L. Collins, P.C., I work with clients from Texas to protect their rights after they are accused of a repeat DWI offense and to limit the potential punishments they face. I have more than 27 years of experience in criminal defense law and understand how to obtain the best possible results for you.
Repeat DWI charges carry major consequences
Repeat offenders could face jail time, major fines, long probation, mandatory alcohol treatment, house arrest and more. A first-degree DWI offense carries a mandatory jail sentence of at least 120 days. There are also a variety of lifelong consequences that people found guilty of a repeat DWI charge face, including:
- Job loss and difficulties finding work due to criminal record
- Significantly increased costs for car insurance or refusal of coverage
- Increased difficulty in renting an apartment
- Social reputation and embarrassment
- Loss of vehicle and driver license
Fighting repeat DWI charges
Fighting charges of repeat DWI in Texas is difficult, as the prosecution’s DWI lawyers will use every trick in the book to secure a conviction. They will look at your driving record for the past 10 years and evaluate any evidence, including the results of a blood alcohol content (BAC) test and whether an accident occurred. You could also be punished for refusing to take field sobriety tests.
There are many strategies for fighting repeat DWI charges. I use my experience as a criminal defense lawyer to determine the best strategy for fighting your charges. These strategies include:
- Challenging BAC test results: If the testing equipment is faulty or the person who did the test was uncertified, I can fight to have the evidence from the tests thrown out.
- Challenging field sobriety tests: Only a few field sobriety tests are scientifically proven to document intoxication. I challenge the methods used in a test.
- Challenging improper traffic stops: I argue aggressively to show that there was no erratic driving or other appropriate cause to pull you over.
Contact Kevin L. Collins, P.C. for further information
If you are facing charges of a repeat DWI charge, please contact me today about how I can represent you and secure a positive result for you. You can reach me during business hours at 210-598-8629 or online. I’m happy to assist you in any way I can and to fight on your behalf to protect your rights.