Kevin –Collins — San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyer
Zealous defense for those accused of crimes in Bexar County and throughout Texas
Kevin Collins, board-certified in criminal law and juvenile law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, is a former prosecutor and member of the Criminal Law Section of the San Antonio Bar. His experience as a prosecutor has provided him with a comprehensive understanding of both sides of the courtroom. He aggressively defends clients’ rights in federal, state and appellate courts.
He is also AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® and was awarded the highest rating of 10.0 under the avvo.com rating system, selected as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Texas by The National Trial Lawyers Association since 2012, selected to Super Lawyers accreditation by Thomson Reuters & Company from 2009-2016 and named one of San Antonio’s Best Criminal Defense Lawyers by SA Scene Magazine every year since 2007. Kevin was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2016 in the field of Criminal Defense. Kevin is also the Chair Elect of the State Bar of Texas Juvenile Law Section, a Member of the Texas Bar Foundation, and a Member of the San Antonio Bar Foundation. Kevin is the past President of South Texas Mensa and current member of both South Texas Mensa and American Mensa. Kevin Collins was recently selected to San Antonio Business Journal’s list of 2015 Outstanding Lawyers.
Know your rights. Contact Kevin Collins today.
To discuss your defense case with an established San Antonio criminal defense attorney, contact the law offices of Kevin L. Collins, P.C. today online or call us at 210.598.8629. Don't let the prosecution run over you. Rely on our team to make your best interests our top priority.
- Missouri, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 1988
- Texas, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1990
- U.S. Tax Court, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1986
- B.A., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1983
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, juvenile law, 2004
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, criminal law, 1993
Articles and Publications
- "Seeking Justice, Not Just Convictions"
- "The Practice of Juvenile Law Is Not Child's Play"
- "Newest Trends in Juvenile Law"
- "The Scarlet Letter of Juvenile Sex Offender Registration"
- "12 (Not So) Angry Men and Women"
- "Economy Bad, White Collar Crime Good!"
- He lectured at the 2013 San Antonio Bar Juvenile Update, on the topic of Sealing of Records.
- Practical guidance for practitioners concerning the pitfalls of appellate and writ proceedings in juvenile matters, Lecturer and Author, Ethics in Writ and Appellate Proceedings, Texas Bar Juvenile Conference, 2012
- Discussion of the nature, history, and future of criminal jurisprudence, Lecturer and Author, Philosophy of Criminal Law, University Of Texas-San Antonio, 2012
- Collins is the only Texas-based attorney selected to contribute to the book, which was released on August 31 and features the writings of other legal minds, including Rhonda M. Copley, Eric J. Zogry and Mark W. Helwig. Collins' chapter focused on juvenile law, Featured Author, of Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies 2012 ed. Leading Lawyers on Examining Recent Trends in Juvenile Law and Building a Successful Defense (Inside the Minds) , Aspatore Books, 2012
- Save both your career and your reputation from the severe penalties of health care fraud by diligently maintaining your documentation and keeping up with the ever-changing health care benefit system., Author, Protect Your Practice, NSIDE Magazine, 2012
- Chapter 4: Kevin Lloyd Collins, Managing Partner, Kevin Lloyd Collins, Attorney at Law PC - Juvenile Defense: It Is Not Child's Play", Author, Inside the Minds: Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies, 2012
- Collins spoke about determinate sentencing and transfers cases in efforts to continue educating the Texas lawyers and members of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer Association. , Featured Speaker, Determinate Sentence and Transfer Cases- Juvenile Law Seminar , 2012
- Tips for the medical professional to avoid fraud., Author, Protect Your Practice, NSIDE Publications, 2012
- Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies provides an authoritative, insider's perspective on best practices for representing juvenile clients in criminal cases. Featuring partners and chairs from some of the nation's leading law firms, this book guides the reader through the process of gaining familiarity with the juvenile court system and its many players, and the importance of understanding the differences between the adult and juvenile court systems. These top lawyers provide guidance on getting to know juvenile clients, understanding the juvenile code and its structure, and becoming familiar with the community partners who are available for assistance. Finally, these leaders share their thoughts on the value they bring to the lives of their juvenile clients and the communities in which they live. The different niches represented and the breadth of perspectives presented enable readers to get inside some of the great legal minds of today, as these experienced lawyers offer up their thoughts on the keys to success within this dynamic field. Inside the Minds provides readers with proven business and legal intelligence from leading C-Level executives and lawyers. Each chapter offers thought leadership and expert analysis on an industry, profession, or topic, providing a future-oriented perspective and proven strategies for success. Each author has been selected based on their experience and C-Level standing within the business and legal communities., Co-Author, Inside the Minds: Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies, 2012 ed. , Aspatore Books, 2012
- Lecture to the Texas Judicial College on topics including Bullying, Cyberbullying, Sexting, and Sex Offender Registration., Lecturer and Author, Trends in Juvenile Law, Texas Judicial College, 2012
- This article explores the recent Supreme Court jurisprudence in the area of the 5th amendment, particularly the newly articulated principle that requires on to speak up to invoke the Miranda right to be silent., Author, "You Have the Right to Remain Silent . . . If you Speak up", San Antonio Lawyer and San Antonio Nside Magazine, 2012
- Analyzing the dynamic tension between security and personal privacy rights., Author, TSA Enhanced Security Procedures, San Antonio Inside Business Journal, Criminal Defense, 2011
- Lecturer, "Chapter 55 Proceedings", 36th Annual Advanced Criminal Law Course, Criminal Law, 2011
- Lecturer, "Ethical Considerations: Pleas and Trials", 24th Annual Juvenile Law Conference, Juvenile Law, 2011
- An examination of cases involving prosecutorial immunity and misconduct and the threat of civil liability., Author, "Justice For All", Criminal Defense, 2010
- A look at what Justice Elena Kagan brings to the table as President Barack Obama's second Supreme Court appointee., Author, "Justice Elena Kagan Ready for Prime Time", Criminal Defense, 2010
- The texting ban in San Antonio will be more difficult to enforce and prosecute than intended by lawmakers., Author, "Texting ban could have unintended consequences", Criminal Defense, 2010
- This article explores the benefits of social media for the legal industry and some things to avoid in order to stay within your state's rules and regulations., Author, "Social Media: A Guide for Lawyers", Criminal Defense, 2010
- The evolving definition of "child's best interest" is explored as the article compares "bad kids" vs. "good kids"., Author, "The Case on Juvenile Law", Criminal Defense, 2010
- An exploration of how serving on a jury helped one lawyer see things differently and become a better lawyer., Author, "12 (not so) Angry Men and Women", Criminal Defense, 2010
- Using examples from the past and present, Kevin Collins illustrates what White Collar Law means for today's economy., Author, "Economy Bad, White Collar Crime, Good!", Criminal Defense, 2010
- Author, "Section 1988 Attorney's Fees: Awards Should be Liberal to Encourage Vindication of Civil Rights," University of Missouri at Kansas City Law Review, Vol. 54, No. 4
- Speaker, "Juvenile Sex Offender De-registration," Texas Bar Juvenile Law Conference, 2007
- Speaker, "Juvenile Sex Offender De-registration," Texas Bar Juvenile Law Conference, 2005
- Speaker, "Juvenile Sex Offender De-registration," Texas Bar Juvenile Law Conference, 2004
- Topics Editor, University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, 1986
- Frequent Guest Speaker for www.mylegal.com
- "Juvenile Age and Jurisdiction Issues," Juvenile Nuts and Bolts Seminar, 2009
- "Juvenile Mental Health Issues," Advanced Criminal Law Seminar, 2010
- "Advanced Trial Strategies," TDCLA, 2010
- San Antonio Criminal Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- William S. Sessions Inn of Court
- American Inns of Court